The best of transportation-related news, events, and opportunities delivered right to your inbox
Issue #148 - February 2020
How is the City of Boston doing in reaching the goals included in Go Boston 2030, their long-term mobility plan launched three years ago? RSVP today to hear our assessment of the City's progress on implementing projects and achieving the goals and targets it set for itself. Join us for our progress report launch on Wednesday, March 11th, and stay tuned to read the report!
We hope to see you there!
Massachusetts is facing a transportation crisis, and lawmakers will soon debate new revenue for transportation. To build support for bold policies to address our failing, inequitable transportation system, and to ensure our message is heard by state leaders, we’ll be gathering at the State House with our partners for a Call to Action tomorrow -- please join us!
Please RSVP here. We hope to see you there tomorrow!
Image: Liana Genito
We need your help to expand our Better Buses initiatives this spring. Can we count on you to volunteer as a Street Ambassador?
Join us for an upcoming training to learn how you can help amplify community members' voices and educate businesses about better transportation access across Boston.
Even if you are not able to attend the training you can still volunteer as a Street Ambassador! Email email@example.com to learn more and sign up.
Join us in welcoming Shavel'le to our staff as a part-time Community Engagement Coordinator! Shavel'le is involved with community outreach for the Blue Hill Ave, Warren Street, and Hyde Park Ave corridors and is supporting our Street Ambassador program.
Shavel'le is also currently working as the Executive Director of Mattapan Food and Fitness Coalition, and has been active in youth development and promoting biking in the Mattapan community for years. We're so excited to have her join our team!
Say 'hi' to Shavel'le at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Image credit: NUMO
This month, instead of a typical Advocacy Committee meeting, we're hosting a Mobility Game Night with Robin Chase! Join us at the LivableStreets office for a chance to play MoMobility, a recently created urban mobility card game that is sure to be both engaging and fun. To kick off the game, Robin will first speak briefly about climate and the future of transportation. We hope to see you there!
LivableStreets Advocacy Committee Meeting and Game Night
Wednesday, February 26, 2019, 6:30 pm
@ The LivableStreets Office
100 Sidney Street, Cambridge, MA 02139
LivableStreets is seeking board and committee members with knowledge or interest in one or more of the following areas: community organizing, policy development, fundraising, or strategic planning. In particular, we’re seeking a potential new board member who has financial expertise and is interested in serving as the Treasurer of the Board. LivableStreets board and committee members enjoy camaraderie, mentorship, and skill-sharing while taking a proactive role in driving the planning and priorities of our organization.
Please reach out to our Board Chair, Brian Sant at email@example.com if you or someone you know is interested in joining our board, internal committee, or external committee.
And in case you missed it, we’ve welcomed several new board members in the past year: Katherine Adam, Jason Lee, Jascha Franklin-Hodge, and Emily Warren.
Northern Strand Community Trail Win
Vision for the northern portion of the Emerald Network
Earlier this month, the Baker-Polito Administration announced that construction will soon begin on the remaining sections of the Northern Strand community trail. When completed, this 11.5 mile trail will link the Mystic River with the Lynn shoreline, connecting Everett, Malden, Revere, Saugus, and Lynn.
This is a great win for greenways, and will extend vital connections through Lynn, in addition to completing a few more miles of the Emerald Network, our vision for a network 200+ miles of seamless greenways in Boston and beyond. Read more here.
- Sustainable Mobility Assistant Co-op and Sustainable Mobility Intern, MassDOT: MassDOT is hiring for two paid positions. To learn more and apply for the co-op, click here. To learn more and apply for the internship, click here.
- Several positions at GreenRoots: GreenRoots Chelsea is hiring a Director of Organizing and a Youth Programs Organizer. To learn more, click here.
- Community Engagement Manager, City of Cambridge: The Community Development Department seeks a Community Engagement Manager with the vision and experience to lead the department's overall engagement and outreach strategy. To learn more and apply, click here.
- Sustainable Transportation Planning Intern, City of Cambridge: The Community Development Department seeks an intern with an interest in sustainable transportation, Complete Streets, outreach, and public transit. To learn more and apply, click here.
- Title VI Specialist, MBTA: The Title VI Specialist assists in the development and implementation of the Title VI Program to ensure MBTA compliance with the provisions of the Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other nondiscrimination authorities, including Executive Orders for Environmental Justice (EJ) and Limited English Proficiency (LEP) inclusive public participation, assessing departmental risk for non-compliance, and other duties. To learn more and apply, click here.
- Transportation Planner, City of Malden: The Transportation Planner works to provide transportation planning, development review, transportation systems, analysis, and coordination of multi-modal transportation initiatives. To learn more and apply, click here.
- Board Member, Boston Cyclists Union: The Boston Cyclists Union is seeking new members for its Board of Directors, which helps guide the organization's strategic planning and direction, among other functions. To learn more and apply, click here.
Check out the following resources to learn more about what we've been up to lately!
- Press: Read local and national press featuring LivableStreets and our work.
- StreetFilms: Watch videos highlighting our advocacy and events.
- Greenway Stories: Join us as we explore greenway successes and challenges around the Boston area.
Was this email forwarded to you? Here's where you can sign up for StreetLife! www.livablestreets.info/join