The best of transportation-related news, events, and opportunities delivered right to your inbox
Issue #143 - September 2019
Bus Report Released Yesterday
Yesterday, we launched the next phase of our Better Buses campaign, which will guide our advocacy as the MBTA makes critical decisions about the future of its bus system through its upcoming network redesign. This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity to make meaningful investments in communities that are most in-need of more reliable transit service, and we will need your help to push for a better and more equitable system.
Read key findings from the report here.
Fundraising for Tour de Streets continues through September 30th
Whether you attended, donated, or cheered us on from afar, your support helped to make Tour de Streets a great success!
On Sunday, September 8th we welcomed nearly 200 participants to Turtle Swamp Brewing and surpassed our $50,000 fundraising goal! Check out photos from the event here and here.
But, our fundraising isn't over yet! If you were inspired by the event, the people, or our initiatives, you can still donate through the end of the month. Whether it is $5 or $500, you can increase your impact today!
A Summer Full of Engagement Winds to a Close
It's now officially fall, and we are reflecting on a busy summer of community engagement events! In the past few months, we’ve set up tables at events, attended community meetings, and recruited Street Ambassadors to engage bus riders and passersby in neighborhoods across Boston.
We want to make sure we hear from people who have historically not been part of – or invited to be part of – planning processes, including people of color, people with disabilities, low-income residents, immigrants, youth, and others. Event tabling and Street Ambassador outreach allow us to go where people are, already, and make it easier for them to weigh in on transportation plans.
We're also conducting an online survey, to support our project to evaluate the City of Boston’s progress on implementation of Go Boston 2030. If you travel in the City of Boston, we want to hear from you!
Join us for a 'Community Planning and You' Workshop at Our Next Advocacy Committee Meeting
Do you care about the impacts of new housing development on public transportation and traffic? Or about the lack of green space and the impacts on the public realm? Want more affordable housing?
Attend our next Advocacy Committee meeting to learn more! Jason Derosier, the manager of community building & engagement for the Allston Brighton CDC, will lead a 'Community Planning and You' workshop that will demystify Article 80 of the Boston Zoning Code and highlight the opportunities for you to engage with the development process so you can effectively advocate for what you envision for your neighborhood.
Advocacy Committee Meeting
Wednesday, September 25, 2019, 6:15pm - 8:30pm
100 Sidney Street, Cambridge
Bus-Bike Lane Comes to Broadway in Somerville
We are excited to see a number of new transportation improvements come to Broadway in Somerville, including bus and bike lanes! LivableStreets Street Ambassadors assisted with community and business outreach for this project during this past spring. Kudos to the City of Somerville for pushing projects forward that support their climate and mobility goals. Learn more about this project here.
Save the Date for StreetTalk 10-in-1
Join us for the 9th Annual StreetTalk 10-in-1 on December 10th as we invite 10 innovative transportation and community thinkers to take the stage and share their big ideas. Enjoy 10 rapid-fire "TED"-style talks, with plenty of inspiration to be had! One of our most popular events of the year - don't miss it!
Tuesday, December 10, 2019, 5:30-8:30 pm
@ Old South Meeting House
310 Washington Street, Boston 02108
- City of Boston, Director of Engineering: The Boston Transportation Department is searching for a Director of Engineering who is well versed in state of the art tools and practices to create sustainable and multi-modal transportation networks including bicycle, pedestrian and transit focused street design and cutting edge safety treatments. To learn more and apply, click here.
- ITDP (Institute for Transportation & Development Policy), Public Transit Manager: The Public Transit Manager will play a key role in overseeing the conceptualization, design and implementation of sustainable transport solutions. To learn more and apply, click here.
- MBTA, various:
Check out the following resources to learn more about what we've been up to lately!
- Press: Read local and national press featuring LivableStreets and our work.
- StreetFilms: Watch videos highlighting our advocacy and events.
- The Public Way: Transportation, Health, and Livable Communities Blog: Join Steve Miller, one of our founding board members, as he explores how our transportation system and built environment can be better structured to improve our lives, health, and the planet.
Was this email forwarded to you? Here's where you can sign up for StreetLife! www.livablestreets.info/join