The MBTA is collecting public feedback on fare policy changes to support Fare Transformation:
- Ending passbacks: They're discontinuing the ability to tap multiple riders through a gate with one card (“passback”). This will allow them to introduce mobile and contactless payments and integrate the Commuter Rail without creating pricing errors.
- Fare media per rider: Riders aged 12 and older will need to have their own fare media to provide proof of payment and to ensure there are no duplicate charges at fare gates and on fare readers.
- “One more trip” protection on Charlie Cards: The new fare media will allow riders to board with low/zero balance to improve convenience and avoid leaving riders stranded.
- $3 Fare media fee and free card distribution: There will be a $3 card cost per new Charlie Card and Mobile Charlie Card, with some exceptions. *
*The MBTA recognizes that the new card cost may be a burden for some riders, and they are currently developing a plan to distribute free Charlie Cards to minority and low-income communities through partner organizations. Cards will continue to be free to Reduced Fare Riders and for all riders purchasing a 1-Day Link Pass on a new Charlie Card.
Register for the virtual meeting using this link: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYkdu-qrzguHtFdcgVj4ne-9CWIlRhUnRQj
- March 22, 2022 at 6:00pm – 8pm