The best of transportation-related news, events, and opportunities delivered right to your inbox
Issue #142 - August 2019
Double Your Donation For Tour de Streets
Tour de Streets is Saturday, September 7th -- less than three weeks away! This annual event is turning 10 this year, and will feature a 10-mile urban bike ride, a 4-mile family-friendly bike ride, and a 3-mile walk. Don't care to bike or walk? Simply join us for the party! Your participation directly supports all of our programs, including Vision Zero, Better Buses, and the Emerald Network!
We just launched our $15K in 15 Days Donation Matching Challenge! Every donation between now and August 30th will be matched up to $15K! Register, donate, or become a member before August 30th to have your contribution double!
Tour de Streets - 10th Anniversary
Saturday, September 7th, 9:00am-2:00pm
@ Turtle Swamp Brewing
3377 Washington St, Jamaica Plain 02130
Check out the Cambridge Vision Zero Progress Report
Last week, the Massachusetts Vision Zero Coalition and the City of Cambridge jointly released a Progress Report assessing the City of Cambridge’s implementation of its Vision Zero Action Plan. The report outlines the City’s accomplishments and challenges faced in the first year after the release of the Vision Zero Cambridge Action Plan, and provides next steps for implementation.
We are committed to reporting on the progress of Vision Zero initiatives and welcomed the opportunity to collaborate with the City of Cambridge on this report.
To read the report, click here.
Are You Ready To Vote in Upcoming Elections? Learn More About Local Candidates
LivableStreets and our Massachusetts Vision Zero Coalition partners distributed a people-centered streets questionnaire to candidates in Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville in order to help residents make informed choices in the upcoming election.
Here are three ways that you can use the candidate questionnaire:
- Read candidates' answers to help inform your vote.
- Reach out to your local candidates to let them know that their answers to these questions matter.
- Forward this email to five of your friends. Encourage them to learn more and vote.
This election is an important opportunity to weigh in on the issues that matter most to you. The leaders we elect will make decisions that affect the livability of our streets. So if you're able to vote in local races, please head to the polls this fall! Here are the dates for upcoming municipal elections:
Tuesday, September 10, 2019 - Somerville Preliminary Election
Tuesday, September 24, 2019 - Boston Preliminary Election
Tuesday, November 5, 2019 - General Election for Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville
Join Us For a Bus Priority Learn-A-Thon
The City of Boston and the MBTA are teaming up to improve bus travel experiences across Boston. These improvements can take many different forms. Come and learn about all the different tools that can be used to make bus trips faster, safer, and more reliable on Wednesday, August 21st.
Bus Priority Learn-A-Thon
Wednesday, August 21, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
@ Central Boston Elder Services
2315 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02119
Join Us For MOTHERLOAD Film Screening
Feeling inspired by Tour de Streets? Join us a few days later, on September 15th, at a film screening about cargo bikes and learn why people love them. MOTHERLOAD is a crowdsourced documentary about a new mother’s quest to understand the increasing isolation and disconnection of the digital age, its planetary impact, and how cargo bikes could be an antidote. Kids are welcome!
Sunday, September 15, 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
@ The Brattle Theatre
40 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA
- City of Boston, Director of Engineering: The Boston Transportation Department is searching for a Director of Engineering who is well versed in state of the art tools and practices to create sustainable and multi-modal transportation networks including bicycle, pedestrian and transit focused street design and cutting edge safety treatments. To learn more and apply, click here.
- ITDP (Institute for Transportation & Development Policy), Public Transit Manager: The Public Transit Manager will play a key role in overseeing the conceptualization, design and implementation of sustainable transport solutions. To learn more and apply, click here.
- WalkBoston, Intern: WalkBoston interns gain experience in transportation-related planning and design, community engagement, advocacy, and neighborhood revitalization efforts. If you have an interest in learning firsthand how walkability affects community health, civic participation and overall quality of life, then an internship at WalkBoston could be a career-enhancing experience for you. To learn more and apply, click here.
- City of Somerville, Pedestrian and Transportation Advisory Committee Members: Pedestrian and Transit Advisory Committee members: The City of Somerville is accepting applications to fill 10 seats on the newly formed Pedestrian and Transit Advisory Committee. The committee’s input will support and guide city policies and plans to make improvements for public transit riders and pedestrians. To learn more and apply (deadline: 9/6/19), click here.
- UrbanAdventours, various: Do you love riding bikes and being outdoors? Are you looking for an active, hands-on job that provides a livable income? Urban Adventours (UA) is Boston’s Downtown Bicycle Shop, and they are looking for hard working people who are passionate about bicycles to help grow their fast paced, dynamic business. To learn more about open positions and apply, click here.
Check out the following resources to learn more about what we've been up to lately!
- Press: Read local and national press featuring LivableStreets and our work.
- StreetFilms: Watch videos highlighting our advocacy and events.
- The Public Way: Transportation, Health, and Livable Communities Blog: Join Steve Miller, one of our founding board members, as he explores how our transportation system and built environment can be better structured to improve our lives, health, and the planet.
Was this email forwarded to you? Here's where you can sign up for StreetLife! www.livablestreets.info/join