A Taste of Boston Open Streets Makes Us Hungry for More!
On July 10th, the City of Boston held an Open Streets event on Centre Street in Jamaica Plain. LivableStreets was so excited to participate and see so many people show up to enjoy the event. It was very powerful to see folks moving along the mile and a half section of Centre St by walking, biking, rollerskating, and more. Most noticeably, we were delighted to see how accessible the event was for folks using mobility devices such as wheelchairs and walkers.
If you attended the Open Streets event on Centre Street earlier this month and you thought that more neighborhoods in Boston should have as much fun as you did, help us spread the joy of Open Streets and volunteer for the coming events along Blue Hill Ave and Dorchester Ave in the coming months. Email Makayla at [email protected] if you are interested.
The Massachusetts Vision Zero Coalition and the Great Neighborhoods Network have distributed a questionnaire to all Governor and Lieutenant Governor candidates in Massachusetts on issues related to mobility, transportation, and housing. The questionnaire gives candidates the opportunity to share their priorities with residents like you, so you can make informed choices in the upcoming election.
Will you help spread the word? Reach out to the candidates who are running to represent you, and let them know their answers to these questions matter! The deadline is next Monday, August 8st at 11:59pm.
Bike the Emerald Network this Summer!
Abby Jamiel, the Emerald Network Program Manager, joined the Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC)’s LandLine program for a guided bicycle ride on a gorgeous Wednesday night. Along with City of Boston and MassDOT staff, community organizers and a few friends added to the fun! The ride meandered along the Mary Ellen Welch Greenway to Constitution Beach, and then connected to Revere Beach in Revere along Winthrop’s Belle Isle Marsh. The route is a striking one for those out to catch some beach sunsets.
Two more LandLine rides are scheduled for August 8th and 11th along the Mystic and Malden River Trails and Mystic Highlands Greenway. Rides are free and more information can be found here.
Volunteer with LivableStreets!
With all the additional warmth and sunlight in the Greater Boston area, there are many events scheduled for the coming months. LivableStreets has upcoming opportunities for both volunteer and paid work that you might be interested in!
Become a Street Ambassador
Participate in Tour De Streets
Volunteer at Open Streets
Tour de Streets update: rain date set for September 18!
Tour de Streets 2022 update: we have biking routes & a rain date! We are keeping our fingers crossed that we won't need it, but if September 10th brings inclement weather, we'll gather at the Charles River Speedway on Sunday, September 18th instead—so keep your calendar clear, just in case! You can check out the routes for the 3-mile Family ride and the 10-mile Urban ride at livablestreets.info/tourdestreets, and don't forget to register!
If you've already registered, you get an official LivableStreets high five! The next step is to send an email to your friends and family and ask them to help you hit your personal fundraising goal. Sample letters are available in your participant dashboard—just update the details and hit send!
LivableStreets is Hiring a Transit + Streets Project Manager!
Dust off your resume—LivableStreets has an open position! We're searching for a Transit + Streets Project Manager who is ready to move our advocacy forward across all of our programs and will thrive as part of a small, collaborative team. This position will be particularly focused on bringing an equity lens to transit and street projects, and working with communities to support their needs & voices.
Know someone who would be excited to do this work? Forward this email to them & encourage them to apply soon! More information and the full job description are available here.
- Public Policy Specialist, Massachusetts Public Health Association: The Public Policy Specialist will be a core part of a four-person Policy & Campaign Team working to advance MPHA’s health equity policy agenda. Learn more and apply here.
- Multiple positions, Muslim Justice League:
- Senior Research Manager, Boston Indicators: The Senior Research Manager supports and advances the goals of Boston Indicators, conducting original research, managing research projects, and developing ongoing working relationships with TBF staff, community groups, and civic leaders across Greater Boston. Learn more and apply here.
- Executive Director, Massachusetts Voter Table: The Massachusetts Voter Table seeks a leader committed to transformational, progressive social change led by low-income people and people of color. The Executive Director provides vision and leadership to facilitate collective action across 30+ nonprofit partner organizations. Learn more and apply here.
As a policy, LivableStreets will only advertise opportunities that include salary or compensation information.
Check out the following resources to learn more about what we've been up to lately!
- Press: Read local and national press featuring LivableStreets and our work.
- StreetFilms: Watch videos highlighting our advocacy and events.
- Greenway Stories: Join us as we explore greenway successes and challenges around the Boston area.
Was this email forwarded to you? Here's where you can sign up for StreetLife! www.livablestreets.info/join