StreetLife: Better Buses, Improving Snow Clearance, and more! |
Issue #135 - February 2019
Speak Up for Better Buses -- the MBTA Needs to Hear From You
Last week, the MBTA unveiled 47 proposals for making fast improvements to bus service this year. Here are three things you can do to ensure you and other riders can enjoy Better Buses:
- Review the proposed changes to see how service for your bus routes could change.
- Attend an open house, community meeting, or share your feedback online.
- Raise your voice and share your vision for Better Buses with your elected officials.
Your feedback will be critical to ensuring that these changes improve commutes for thousands of riders. Check out the MBTA Better Bus Project website page for more information and to see a list of upcoming open houses.
Recap from Day of Action at the State House in January
In January, we joined our fellow Massachusetts Vision Zero Coalition partners in a Day of Action for Road Safety at the State House. Governor Baker kicked off the morning with welcoming remarks and support for critical traffic safety legislation. After the program, over 100 traffic safety advocates went door-to-door to personally ask legislators to cosponsor three important bills that would make our roads safer and prevent traffic deaths.
Click here to learn more about this important Vision Zero legislation, and sign up here for updates on future opportunities to support these bills as the legislative session continues.
Won't You Be Our #StreetHeart?
This Valentine's Day, celebrate your love for safer, more livable streets by renewing or becoming a sustaining member of LivableStreets Alliance. Our goal is to have 14 new members by February 14th!
For as little as $5/month you can help us create a better road forward for transportation on Metro Boston -- join now!
Street Safety is Snow Joke: Advocacy Strategies for Weathering Winter in Boston
What are the rules around snow clearance in the Boston area? What are the opportunities for advocacy when sidewalks, bus stops, and bike lanes aren't cleared of snow?
Join us at our next Advocacy Committee meeting on Wednesday, February 27th. Along with some of our advocacy partners, we'll lay out what policies are currently on the books, share advocacy strategies, and discuss best practices around snow clearance.
Get the Latest Greenway News from the Emerald Network
Exciting progress is underway for the Emerald Network, a LivableStreets initiative to build a 200+ mile seamless network of greenway paths across Metro Boston. Read the latest "Greenway Story" on our blog:
- Featured Greenway: Chelsea Greenway
- A Greenway Makes Progress: An Interview with East Boston Greenway Coordinator Michelle Moon
Editor, Streetsblog MASS: Streetsblog MASS is looking for a journalist to launch and operate a daily news site dedicated to covering sustainable transportation and livable streets in Massachusetts cities. To learn more, click here.
Senior Transportation Planner, City of Somerville: Duties will include field work, technical analysis, street design, public education, project management, and interdepartmental coordination around multimodal mobility planning, engineering and urban design in New England’s most densely-populated city. To learn more and apply, click here.
Transportation Planner, City of Somerville: Candidate will support program design, program management and project delivery. To learn more and apply, click here.
- Senior Transportation Planner II, BPDA: This person will work under the direction of the Senior Deputy Director for Transportation and Infrastructure Planning, assist in the division’s activities with regard to transportation planning, development review, transportation systems analysis, and the coordination of multi-modal transportation initiatives. To learn more and apply, click here.
Check out the following resources to learn more about what we've been up to lately!
- Press: Read local and national press featuring LivableStreets and our work.
- StreetFilms: Watch videos highlighting our advocacy and events.
- The Public Way: Transportation, Health, and Livable Communities Blog: Join Steve Miller, one of our founding board members, as he explores how our transportation system and built environment can be better structured to improve our lives, health, and the planet.