LivableStreets seeks a highly motivated individual who will play a critical role in helping achieve our vision, by supporting our events and communications.
What is LivableStreets
For more than a decade, LivableStreets has been transforming Metro Boston streets into more livable and safe places by advocating for a transportation system that better balances transit, walking, and biking with automobiles. Through our daily advocacy, programs, and working partnerships, LivableStreets helps create safe, convenient, and affordable transportation options for all people in Metro Boston.
What is Tour de Streets
Tour de Streets an annual family-friendly event that supports LivableStreets Alliance. Participants can choose between an urban bike ride, a kid-friendly route and a walk highlighting the Emerald Network. Since 2010, Tour de Streets has grown into one of our most popular events, attracting more than 180 participants in 2015, including avid cyclists, families with small children and everyone in between. After the ride, attendees celebrate with a BBQ lunch, music and games. Tour de Streets will take place on September 10th, 2016.
What the Communications & Events Specialist will do
Manage logistics for our most important annual fundraising event, Tour de Streets:
- Coordinate basic logistics of Tour de Streets, including venue and vendor engagement and managing day-of logistics and volunteer coordination.
- Preparing materials for the event, including handouts, signage and other collateral as needed
- Create a social media plan and manage social media outreach (Facebook and Twitter) before, during and after Tour de Streets
- Draft and send weekly emails to registered participants which include:
- fundraising and outreach tips
- status updates and incentives for fundraising
- Tour de Streets website review and updates as needed
- Draft and build weekly e-blasts for Tour de Streets
Manage the production of our annual report, to be released at Tour de Streets:
- Collect content for report from relevant staff and board members
- Work with Deputy Director to draft and finalize print content and images/design for report
- Work directly with graphic designer and printer to produce report in time for release at Tour de Streets
Maintain strong online communications:
- Drafting and copy editing text for use in e-communications including network-wide and targeted action alerts, member-only emails and our monthly newsletter
- Updating content on the LivableStreets website, with a special focus on overhauling and expanding the the Impact and About sections
- Other TBD responsibilities assigned by the Deputy Director
What we’re looking for
- Educational or professional events, communications or marketing experience preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to quickly and clearly synthesize information
- Proficiency with technology platforms, Adobe Creative Suite, email marketing social media, and Microsoft Office.
- Flexibility to work outside regular 9-5 hours
The estimated number of hours would be between 20 hours per week, June through the end of September, with a potential opportunity to extend the contract through the end of 2016.
This is an hourly paid position or can count towards academic coursework.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. To apply please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com