BREAKING NEWS: BU Bridge Complete! Better Bridge Campaign victory. Read on >>>
Boston University Bridge
About the Project
The Boston University Bridge over the Charles River is being reconstructed by MassDOT as part of the Accelerated Bridge Program. The project started in May 2008 with sidewalk reconstruction by the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR). In October 2008, DCR announced the planned full reconstruction of the bridge. (MassDOT now manages this project since all of DCR's bridges were transferred to MassDOT as part of the statewide Transportation Reform.) This project includes reconstruction of the structural elements of the bridge as well as improvements to the intersections on either end.
> Go to DCR's BU Bridge Rehabilitation Project page.
> View the BU Bridge Public Meeting presentation from October 16, 2008.
> View the BU and Craigie Bridges Project Updates presentation from January 27, 2009.
|Complete Sidewalk Repairs||October 2008 - June 2009|
|Advertise Construction||January 2009 - March 2009|
|Notice to Proceed||March 2009|
|Phase I||June 2009 - June 2010|
|Phase II||June 2010 - June 2011|
|Phase III||June 2011 - June 2012|
DCR originally planned to rebuild the bridge exactly as it is, with the same surface configuration and intersections untouched. Due in part to the efforts of LivableStreets and other advocates, DCR changed course and decided to include improvements to the surface of the bridge and intersections on either end including:
- Bike lanes along the entire length of the bridge
- Improvements to the crossings at either end of the bridge
- Improvements to the bridge approaches for pedestrians and bicyclists
In addition, DCR announce the re-formation of their pedestrian/bicycle committee, and an immediate focus on improving the Charles River Basin for pedestrians and bicyclists. LivableStreets continues to work with MassDOT and other stakeholders as the project moves forward.
See our film highlighting the current issues with the bridge: also available at www.livablestreets.info/films
- BU Bridge Sidewalk Reconstruction - May 7, 2008
- BU Bridge Full Reconstruction (Handout for Public Meeting) - October 10, 2008
- BU Bridge Full Reconstruction - October 14, 2008
- Boston Globe - BU Bridge in need of some major refurbishing - April 27, 2008
- Boston Globe - Wary approval for BU Bridge plan - August 31, 2008
- BU Daily Free Press - Bridge set for facelift - September 9, 2008
- Boston Globe - But who speaks for the geese? - September 14, 2008
- Boston Globe - Time to start planning routes to get around BU Bridge work - October 12, 2008
- Cambridge Chronicle - Some say BU Bridge repairs endangering bikers, walkers, geese - October 17, 2008
- Daily Free Press - Locals debate BU Bridge safety - October 17, 2008
- Boston Metro - Hearing on traffic as bridge sets to close - October 20, 2008
- Bulletin Newspapers - DCR to solicit bids to repair the BU Bridge - October 23, 2008
To be added to the project mailing database, please contact:
Stephanie Boundy, Accelerated Bridge Program Public Outreach Coordinator
Tel: (617) 973-8049
For more information about LivableStreets' efforts, please contact Jackie Douglas at firstname.lastname@example.org