Imagine saving two weeks on your commute every year . . . Dedicated bus lanes, signal priority, and other techniques that prioritize people on buses are an essential ingredient for Complete Streets in Boston, helping to anchor a world-class transportation network.
Check out StreetFilm's video featuring some of our Better Buses work:
Want to support better buses in Boston? Sign up to receive news and updates.
What is a Better Bus?
- Provides consistent, reliable service on a network of streets where buses are given dedicated right of way.
- Improves safety for bicyclists and pedestrians by traveling in specific, predictable lanes with platform-level boarding.
- Stops at enclosed bus stations that welcome riders with real-time data and device-charging stations.
- Appeals to all commuters because of its reliability, speed, comfort, and cost.
Why Better Buses?
- Cities around the world are searching for sustainable ways to transport residents quickly, efficiently, and safely throughout their streets. From Mexico City to Bogota to Istanbul, Better Buses are proving to have a wide range of benefits for quality of life.
- Compared with cars, buses consume far less public space per passenger trip and can help relieve congestion, improve air quality, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- When buses are reliable, fast and comfortable, they become a more attractive and viable option for commuters, reducing dependance on cars and increasing physical activity.
- Metro Boston cannot build its way out of congestion. For our transportation system to accomodate future growth we must use road space and bus facilities more efficiently and move towards becoming less car dependent.
- Better buses benefit everyone. They improve connections between communities and other transit modes, including cycling and walking.
- Go Boston 2030's goals to increase bus ridership and lower greenhouse gas emissions can be achieved with changes that prioritize streets and signals for buses.
What You Can Do
Volunteer: Join us in spreading the word about the importance of safe and livable streets. Our volunteers are actively involved in tracking projects, tabling at events, and serving as Street Ambassadors.
Like our work? Donate today!